More Africa NewsUganda’s UTL becomes UTel

August 22, 2023by myles0

The government of Uganda has carried out a rebranding of state-owned fixed and mobile operator Uganda Telecom Limited (UTL), with the telco now offering services under the UTel banner. According to The Kampala Report, authorities have also committed to improving voice and data connectivity at the operator, which is still restricted to using a 3G mobile network while larger rivals MTN and Airtel have both recently launched 5G networks to complement their 4G systems.

TeleGeography’s GlobalComms Database notes that UTel is owned by the government of Uganda via holding company Uganda Telecommunications Corporation Limited (UTCL). UTCL is itself 60% owned by the Ministry of Finance, with the remaining 40% held by the Ministry of ICT and National Guidance.

Source: Commsupdate

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Copyright Extensia Ltd