More Africa NewsSouth Africa: Government launches Broadband Access Fund in Kwazulu-Natal province

December 1, 2023by myles0

The South African government wants to generalize broadband in South Africa as part of its digital transformation ambitions. Earlier this month, he launched the second phase of SA Connect, the national broadband project.

Mondli Gungubele (photo), South African Minister of Communications and Digital Technologies, officially launched the Broadband Access Fund in the province of KwaZulu-Natal on Tuesday, November 28. Through the said Fund, the government will provide Internet Service Providers (ISPs) with partial subsidies to connect 50,000 households and 3,000 community Wi-Fi hotspots.

The Broadband Access Fund was created by the government as part of the presidential employment stimulation program. Some 16 small and medium-sized businesses providing internet services have already benefited from support from the Fund across the rainbow nation. The government believes this has created jobs for young people, women and people with disabilities.

The establishment of the Broadband Access Fund is part of the implementation of the second phase of South Africa’s national broadband project, SA Connect. Officially launched on November 4, this initiative aims to provide 80% of public administrations, communities and homes with access to broadband over the next three years with speeds of between 10 and 100 megabits per second depending on the real need expressed. .

“  Thanks to the Broadband Access Fund, the government has significantly reduced the cost of data by offering plans starting from 5 rand [0.27 USD, Editor’s note] per day of Wi-Fi connectivity. We are enabling our fellow citizens to access the Internet in an affordable, safe and secure manner. We intend to connect over a million homes in the next six months  ,” Mr Gungubele said.

Source: Agence Ecofin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Copyright Extensia Ltd